Binaural hearing aids is the professional way of saying, “Two EAR hearing aids”.
If you have bilateral hearing loss (loss of hearing in both ears), wearing two hearing aids is very important and the best solution.
Here are a few reasons why this is:
1) Better understanding of speech: Research shows that people who wear two hearing aids understand conversations and speech significantly better than those who wear just one, especially in noisy situations.
2) Better ability to tell where sound is coming from: This is called localization, and it helps you determine where traffic sound is coming from or where your grandchildren are playing.
3) Better sound quality: When you listen to a stereo system you get great sound. Wearing two hearing aids gives you similar results and increases your hearing direction from 180 degrees to 360 degrees.
4) Makes hearing less of a strain and tiring and listening more pleasant: You won’t have to strain to hear with your ‘good’ ear, making life much more relaxing. There have been studies that show not correcting hearing deficiency can contribute to Alzheimer’s.
5) Keeps both ears active which can help reduce further hearing loss, (or loss of understanding): Research shows that if you don’t use your hearing, you lose it, or effective function. By only wearing one hearing aid, you can cause further damage to the other ear, or loss of discrimination. The use of two hearing aids helps eliminate these problems in focus for greater clarity.
So, if you have hearing loss in both ears, but you’re trying to get by with just one hearing aid (or, none at all), you’re doing yourself a disservice.